I have never attempted to make a Curried Shrimp Dish on the BBQ. But hey whether your “Glamping” this summer or just not wanting to heat up the house with the stove – I have to say it worked out pretty well. Throw a little rice in the rice cooker and you have a great meal.
I’m not a huge ‘kitchen gadget’ type girl, but I do love my rice cooker and would recommend one to anyone. I picked mine up for 10 bucks at a garage sale years ago and we have definately made use of it.
– 25-30 Jumbo Prawns Shelled and Deveined
– 2 TBSP butter, diced small
– I large onion, chopped roughly
– 1 pint of grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
– 1 medium zucchini chopped roughly
– a tbsp ginger- peeled and chopped finely
– 1/2 small can of coconut milk
– mild curry paste (I like Pataks brand) 3-4 tbsps
– Lemon, sliced for garnish
– Fresh herbs (Cilantro, Parsley, Basil, Mint or Thyme would work nicely) or a combination of a few
– Yogurt for garnish
Light up the grill to about a medium heat to keep your temperature around 425C. In a BBQ safe baking type dish, place all your ingredients except your coconut milk and lemon and herbs and mix them all together. Bake for about 8-10 minutes and then pour in your coconut milk, stir about and bake for a couple more minutes until hot and bubbly and until shrimp are pink. Sprinkle with fresh herbs (I used Mint and Basil from my garden) and garnish with a little lemon to squeeze atop if you like and a dollop of plain yogurt. I served this up with some cardamon scented basmati rice that we made in the rice cooker. Recipe below.
Cardamon Scented Rice:
– 1 tsp approx cardomom pods
– 2 cups basmati rice
– 3 cups water
Place all in rice cooker and turn on. Fluff with a fork once finished.