Had some Gorgonzola cheese in the fridge that I had to use up, so I decided to make a Cobb Salad. I love the presentation of a Cobb Salad – great for a summertime supper on the patio (although we still have snow on the ground here).
Traditionally this salad should also include avocadoes, but I didn’t have any, so we went with out. Really though you could pretty much put whatever you want in here. I made a light vinaigrette dressing with some lemon juice, dill and capers to go with…I just made up the dressing – as for the capers…I put them in because I cleaned my fridge out recently and realized I had three jars of capers hiding in there…apparently I need to start using them up and I thought they would blend nicely with the flavours.
I am not including a recipe for the salad, but will let you know what I put in mine
– Lettuce (any variety you like) – I used Mache
– blue cheese (blue cheese is traditional, but you can use feta, cheddar or whatever you like) – I used gorgonzola (a mild creamy blue cheese)
– cucumbers, diced
– tomatoes (seeded), diced
– avocadoes (I didn’t have any but I would have put these in)
– radishes, diced
– bacon, diced
– chicken breast, diced
– green onions, diced
– hard boiled eggs, diced
Be creative – you can layer in whateve you like. Here is the recipe for the dressing that I made to go with.
Lemon and Dill Dressing with Capers
– 2 tbsp lemon juice (fresh)
– 1 clove garlic, minced fine
– 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
– 2 tsp fresh dill, chopped fine
– 2 tsp honey
– 5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
– 1 tsp capers, chopped fine
– salt and pepper to taste
Shake dressing ingredients in a mason jar with a tight fitting lid to combine. Will store well for about 3 days or so.