I have an overflow of nectarines in my fridge right now and was trying to find a way to use them up when I thought of this salad idea.
If you haven’t tried Farro before it’s worth a shot. It’s healthy and has a nutty flavour and chewy texture. I had trouble finding it in Bonnyville but our health food store in town actually brought a case in for me. In the city you may be able to find it in your local grocery store or try the italian market or any mediterranean grocer may carry.
This is a great refreshing healthy salad. Perfect for a hot summer’s day sitting on the patio with a glass of crisp cold white wine!
– 1 cup chopped english cucumber
– 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes (I used an heirloom variety)
– 2 nectarines cored and chopped (into cubes)
– 1/4 toasted hazelnuts (toast in a dry pan – watch be careful not to burn)
– Feta to taste
– Fresh Mint to taste
– 1 cup of farro (cooked in 3 cups water)
For the dressing:
– 1 heaping TBSP honey
– 1 TBSP dijon mustard
– Juice of 2 lemons
– same amount of Olive Oil as lemon juice
– salt and pepper to taste
Cook 1 cup of rinsed farro in 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil and then turn down heat and let simmer for 30 minutes until farro is cooked. Drain and rinse. Toss into a serving bowl and combine with all Salad ingredients and then pour on the dressing, stir it up and enjoy!