This recipe is also courtesy of Rose Riesman (I really love her cookbooks). Quinoa is prounounced “Keen-Wah”, in case you were wondering. It is super healthy for you as it is a complete protein (high in calcium and iron). I buy it at the health food store, but most grocery stores should carry it too.
– 2 cups veg or chicken stock (I used my homemade chicken stock)
– 1 cup quinoa
– 1/3 cup chopped snow peas
– 1/3 cup finely chopped red pepper
– 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
– 1/4 cup raisins
– 1/4 cup finely chopped dried apricots
– 1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds
– 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or parsley (I used basil)
– 5 tsp rasberry vinegar (I didn’t have rasberry vinegar so I used cider vinegar and turned out good)
– 5 tsp orange juice concentrate
– 4 tsp honey
– 1 tbsp olive oil
– 1/2 tsp finely chopped garlic
Bring the stock to a boil. Add quinoa, cover and simmer on low for about 15 mins or until all liquid is gone. Remove from heat and let sit for about 10 minutes, fluff with a fork, mix with remaining salad ingredients and toss with the dressing.